Sunday, October 11, 2009

Zendikar Decks Part V: Jund Aggro

Well, with a combo of parties, too much World of Warcraft, and just plain laziness, it's been 3 days since I last posted. This is unacceptable, and hopefully will not happen in the near future. As soon as this Zendikar Decks series is finished I hope to move back to my regular 6-a-week update schedule. (The day I don't post is 'whenever the hell I feel like it')

Meanwhile, let's move on to my Jund list.

Here's the list I decided to use:

Lands (24)

4 Dragonskull Summit
2 Forest
4 Mountain
3 Rootbound Crag
4 Savage Lands
3 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs

Creatures (17)

4 Bloodbraid Elf
2 Broodmate Dragon
3 Great Sable Stag
4 Putrid Leech
4 Sprouting Thrinax

Spells (19)

4 Bituminous Blast
4 Jund Charm
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Sign in Blood

Sideboard (15)

3 Blightning
4 Deathmark
1 Great Sable Stag
4 Pyroclasm
3 Terminate


Jund Charm is my pet card, but it's so good. People almost never see it coming because it doesn't see play. It's a maindeck sweeper or combat trick: what's not to love? I also don't like Blightning in Jund that much. Yeah it's card advantage, but I prefer to win by affecting the board.

I just realised as I said that. That would mean Sign in Blood isn't good, but it is.

Dear god, what have I done?

We interrupt this revelation to bring you our actual article. (BTW, I'm totally trying out Blightning soon.)

I hopped on to MWS to do battle. (Forgetting all about Oran-Rief, no less).

Match 1 vs. BGW Rock

He Duresses my Jund Charm, and I lay Sprouting Thrinax. He plays Scute Mob, and I Jund Charm to kill it. I play Putrid Leech and knock him to 7 life. He makes a beast with Garruk, and I draw Pulse. I Pulse the token and ignore Garruk, swinging for exactly lethal.

Game 2 I play a Putrid Leech. When I swing and pump, he Purges it. He plays a Scute Mob, and I Bit Blast into a Leech to kill it. He plays a second Scute Mob, and I play Jund Charm. He plays Baneslayer Angel. I play Broodmate Dragon. He Paths my Putrid Leech (???), and attacks. I topdeck, and play, a Maelstrom Pulse, then swing. He Pulses BMD. I play Putrid Leech, and 2 Thrinaxes. He casts Day of Judgement, and I win with my army of Saprolings.

1-0

Match 2 vs. Armament Master WW

He plays Kor Duelist and Spidersilk Net. I play Putrid Leech. He passes and I swing with it, then play Great Sable Stag. He plays Quietus Spike, so I Jund Charm. He plays a Hookmaster, but I Bit Blast it and beat him to death with Sable Stag and Putrid Leech.

Game 2 He gets out Armament Master. I let him equip the Machete, then Deathmark the Master. He plays Skyfisher and equips it, I Pulse it. He plays another Skyfisher, I Bit Blast it. My Leech gets Pathed, but I Bloodbraid into Sign in Blood. I play Putrid Leech, swing him for 7, then win with Sign In Blood.

Achievement gotten: Here Have Some Cards.

Turns out killing every dude they play is a good strategy. Who knew?

2-0

Match 3 vs. Jund Landfall

I play fetches and Sign in Blood, he plays Khalni Heart and a fetchland. I Bloodbraid Elf into a Maelstrom Pulse to kill his Khalni Heart Expedition. A quick note: so many people keep hands assuming their mana accelerator will survive. If you kill it, you can throw their plans out of whack.

I start beating him, but he kills my guys. He then Bloodbraid Elfs into Birds. I topdeck Broodmate Dragon. He BE's into Zektar Shrine Expedition. I BE into Great Sable Stag. I then sac a fetchland before I beat him to death to take 1 more damage for:

Achievement gotten: Suicide Indeed.

(I also got this achievement in an FNM game on Saturday)

Game 2 he plays and unearths Hellspark Elemental. I play Sprouting Thrinax. He plays Bloodbraid Elf into Earthquake. I double block with my Saprolings. I kill his two new Hellsparks with LB and Terminate, then the unearthed ones by Bit Blasting into Maelstrom Pulse. I love this deck.

He gets a Zektar Shrine and activates it next turn. I Bit Blast into Bloodbraid Elf into Great Sable Stag, untap, and play Broodmate Dragon.

Yeah, I won that game.

3-0

Match 4 vs. Sphinx Control

The first play is a Jace. We both draw, and my draw is ironically a Pulse, which I use next turn. Irony is sweet. I play Great Sable Stag, which gets Bolted. He plays (unkicked) Sphinx of Lost Truths. I play another Stag, and he bashes with the Sphinx. He bolts my GSS, so I play a Thrinax.

I swing, then he blocks. I Jund Charm. He Negates, so I Jund Charm again. He plays Pyroclasm and Lightning Bolt to kill my 5/5 Thrinax.  I BE into LB, and beat him to death over the next couple of turns.

Game 2 I get stuck on 2 land. He plays Jace and helps me draw my third land. How kind. I play GSS. He Cruels me. I discard, then play a second GSS. He Cruels me for the rest of my hand and board, and I concede.

Game 3 he plays Jace, I play Thrinax. He plays Wretched Banquet. I kill Jace with Lightning Bolt and play another Thrinax. He kills it too, then Cruels me. I play another Thrinax. I begin to hope I might actually win this. He Cruels me again, however, and Pyroclasms my Saproling army. He plays a Sphinx with me at 4 life. I play a Pulse, and he Negates it. That ends up being game.

3-1

Salivanth's Score: 4/5
Match Score: 6/8

Total Score: 10

Overall, the deck needs a bit of tuning. It's not the best it can be yet, but it's still one of the strongest decks in the new format. I'm looking forward to testing more ideas in it.

Notes: Broodmate Dragon and Sprouting Thrinax are friggin' nuts. I want to go up to 3 Broodmates.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Blightning in SB? Tisk tisk, put 4 in your MD, nothing better then cascading into one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The truth is that there are only a few ways to get a louis vuitton bags at a discount price. There are many action sites out there that offer these handbags at a cheap price but be careful there are many fakes out there and the quality of a louis vuitton for sale does not compare to the real thing. The best way to obtain what Monogram Denim your really want is to rent one of these great Monogram Denim Patchwork .

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://crazyhogan.bravejournal.com/
    http://crazyhogan.gather.com/
    http://crazyhogan.insanejournal.com/
    http://crazyhogan.livejournal.com/
    http://crazyhogan.us.splinder.com/
    http://crazyhogan.vox.com/
    http://crazyhogan.xanga.com/
    http://glowindia.com/?q=coolhogan
    http://glowindia.com/?q=crazyhogan
    http://glowindia.com/?q=thankshogan

    ^_~ ~_^

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I likes me some comments.